These easy to make bars have a delicious, chewy centre and crisp outside. They used to be my favourite after school treat and I regularly made them for my children too.
Strawberry & Chocolate Bars
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g caster sugar
- 85g soft light brown sugar
- 225g unsalted chilled butter, cubed
- 150g rolled oats
- 225g good quality strawberry jam
- 100g plain chocolate chips
- 35g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan.
- Line a 30 x 20cm rectangular baking tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder and stir in the sugar.
- Add the butter and, with your fingertips, rub the cubed butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the oats.
- Press three quarters of the mixture into the base of the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, spread over the jam and sprinkle over the chocolate chips.
- Mix the flaked almonds with the remaining cake mixture and sprinkle over the chocolate chips. Press the mixture down gently.
- Bake for another 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin before removing and cutting into slices.
0 0 100 0