Servings2 - 6
Flaky and crumbly this lovely French dessert, which translates as a thousand leaves, is traditionally in the shape of a rectangle. I have used a heart shaped cutter for my Valentine’s Day version and one of those is enough for two to share but my recipe is for two 10 x 11 cm heart shaped cakes or six 12 x 4cm rectangles.
Raspberry & White Chocolate Millefeuilles
- 300g all butter puff pastry, home made or shop bought (see notes)
For the White Chocolate Mousse
- 2 gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water
- 120g white chocolate
- 200g double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 280g double cream, beaten to a soft peak
To Fill & Decorate
- 250g fresh raspberries, washed
- Icing sugar to dust
- To make the mousse, break the chocolate into a large bowl and add the squeezed out gelatine.
- Bring 200ml of double cream and the vanilla essence to a simmer and pour it over the chocolate. Leave to stand for a couple of minutes before stirring until smooth.
- Set aside to cool at room temperature for 15 minutes before folding in the whipped cream and refrigerate for 4 hours to set.
- Roll out the pastry to a 30 x 40cm rectangle, 2mm thick and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the pastry sheet onto the baking sheet. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on top of the pastry and place another baking sheet on top to prevent the pastry from rising too much.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Remove the trays from the oven and press down on the top tray to flatten the pastry (be careful of the hot tray).
- Remove the top tray and parchment paper and return the pastry to the oven for another 6 – 8 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Leave to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Using the heart shaped cutter or a serrated knife, cut out 6 heart shapes (10 x 11 cm) or 18 rectangles (12 x 4cm).
- Spoon the chocolate mousse into a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle and pipe a layer of chocolate mousse onto the bottom pastry sheets.
- Cover with a second sheet of pastry and top with a layer of fresh raspberries.
- Top with a final layer of pastry and dust with icing sugar.