Inspired by Neapolitan ice cream and my beautiful Nordic Ware Heritage tin I have baked this chocolate, vanilla and strawberry cake, which tastes every bit, as good as it looks.
Neapolitan Bundt Cake
For the Cake
- 300g strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 240g unsalted butter, softened
- 360g caster sugar
- 300ml sour cream
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 360g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 30g cocoa powder
- ½ tbsp milk
- A few drops of red food colouring (optional)
For the Frosting
- 120g strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 120ml double cream
- 40g dark 70% chocolate
- 40g white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170fan.
- Place the chopped strawberries in a baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of caster sugar and roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, puree the strawberries or pass them through a sieve.
- Grease and lightly flour a 12 cup bundt tin.
- In a large bowl and with an electric hand mixer or in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the sour cream and vanilla essence then beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until incorporated. Don’t worry if the mixture begins to curdle.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the mixer or bowl and beat until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 3 bowls.
- Add the cocoa powder to the first bowl, and stir until incorporated.
- Add the strawberries and food colouring, if using, to the second bowl and stir until combined.
- If you are using the Nordic Ware Heritage bundt tin then you need to pipe the batter. If not you can spoon the mixtures in alternate layers and use the back of a wooden spoon to swirl the different layers together.
- Fill the ridges of the bundt tin with the cake batters, one chocolate, one strawberry and one plain and repeat until all the ridges have been filled. Do this slowly until all the batter has been used up.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 50 – 60 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the strawberry frosting puree the strawberries and place in a saucepan together with the icing sugar. Bring to a simmer and leave to reduce until thick and most of the liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- Break the dark chocolate into a heatproof bowl and break the white chocolate into a separate bowl.
- Heat 50ml of the cream until just below boiling and pour 25ml of the cream on the dark and 25ml on the white chocolate. Leave to stand for a minute and then stir until smooth.
- Beat the remaining cream until stiff and stir in the cooled strawberry puree.
- Either drizzle or pipe the dark and white chocolate ganache and the strawberry cream on the cake.
0 0 100 0