I made these cupcakes for a Charity bake to benefit Chalk Farm. The Chalk Farm Christmas Fair was a great success and, as usual, the cake stall did very well. It was great fun to make the tiny gingerbread men. The recipe for the gingerbread biscuits is on the website but you could buy them ready made.
For the Cupcakes
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 30g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp milk
For the Frosting
- 150g unsalted butter
- 300g icing sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
For the Decorations
- 12 gingerbread men (see Biscuits and Cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper liners.
- For the cupcakes, place the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Add the golden syrup. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Add the salt and gently stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture then add the almonds and milk and stir until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then place them on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, beat the butter in a bowl until soft and smooth. Sift the icing sugar and ginger over the butter and beat together until soft and smooth.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle and pipe onto each cupcake. Top with a gingerbread man decorated to your liking.