This is a lovely chocolate cake that is perfect for Valentine’s Day but equally good on any occasion.
I have made just one small heart shaped cake here but this quantity is enough for 4 small cakes or one large cake. I have baked this cake in a Swiss roll tin and frozen half of the cake to use another time.
Chocolate & Strawberry Cake
For two small cakes
- Halve of 1 chocolate sponge (see basics)
For the Filling
- 150ml double cream
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 150g fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 90g dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa)
- 125ml double cream
- 25ml liquid glucose
- For the two small heart shaped cakes, using a heart shaped cutter cut out 4 cakes.
- Beat the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla essence to a soft peak. Spoon the cream into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Arrange the strawberries on two of the cakes cutting them in half or thickly slicing them if necessary.
- Pipe the cream over the strawberries and top with the remaining sponges.
- To make the glaze, break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Bring the cream to a boil in a saucepan or microwave and pour over the chocolate. Let it stand for a minute and then stir until combined. Leave to cool before stirring in the liquid glucose.
- Pour the glaze over the cake to cover and spread over the top. Top each cake with a strawberry and leave to set.