These were my contribution to a charity summer fair. They were huge fun to make and you can go to town with the decorations. Use any colour you like for the buttercream and the choice of sweets is yours.
Chocolate & Candy Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 3 eggs
- 220g caster sugar
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 80ml of milk
- 150g self-raising flour
- 45g cocoa powder
For the Buttercream
- 160g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 375g icing sugar
- 2 – 4 tbsp full fat milk
- A choice of 3 colours of food colouring paste
For the filling and to Decorate
- 100g Marshmallow Fluff
- 100g small sweets, I used Dolly Mixtures and M&M’s
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Line a muffin pan with 12 paper cases.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat together the eggs and caster sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Stir together the sunflower oil and milk and slowly beat into the egg mixture until combined.
- Sift together the flour and cocoa powder and beat into the egg mixture a little at a time until just incorporated. Do not overbeat if you want light and fluffy cupcakes.
- Divide the batter between the cases, filling them to about two thirds full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes until well risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer the cakes to a wire cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, using an apple corer, take out the centre of each cupcake and fill with marshmallow fluff. I find this easiest using a piping bag but you could spoon the mixture in.
- For the buttercream, place the softened butter into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or use a large bowl and a hand mixer.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar and gently beat until combined. Add a tablespoon of the milk at a time and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Divide the buttercream between 3 bowls and using a little food colouring, colour each buttercream in a colour of your choice.
- Spoon the first colour down one side of your piping bag followed by the second and third colour. You should have a piping bag filled with the three colours side by side.
- Pipe a swirl of buttercream onto each cupcake and decorate with the sweets.
0 0 100 0