This is the time of year like no other for indulging in tasty cookies. I do like the baked apples with caramel and nuts and have tried to recreate that delicious flavour in these filled cookies. I think I have succeeded but let me know what you think.
Apple & Caramel Filled Cookies
For the Dough
- 375g plain flour + some extra for rolling out the dough
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 120g ground almonds
- 200g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 250g unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
For the Filling
- 2 tbsp caramel sauce
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 4 tbsp apple sauce
- 70g roasted ground hazelnuts
- 30g roasted chopped hazelnuts
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- Icing sugar to dust
- Place the flour, baking powder, almonds, caster sugar and salt in the bowl of your food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the vanilla essence and the egg and pulse until the mixture starts to come together.
- Tip everything out onto your worktop and gently bring the mixture together with your hands.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, make the filling.
- Place the caramel sauce and cream into a small saucepan and gently heat, stirring until the mixture is amalgamated.
- Add the apple sauce, ground and roasted hazelnuts and the cinnamon and stir to combine. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/ 170C fan. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to about 3mm thickness.
- Using a 5cm round cutter cut out rounds, reshaping and rerolling the left over dough as you go.
- Place half the cut out rounds onto the baking sheets and brush with the beaten egg.
- Divide the filling between the cookie rounds on the baking sheets.
- Cut a small star out of the remaining dough rounds and place over the filled dough rounds on the baking sheets.
- Press lightly around the edges to seal in the fillings.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.