I just love spinach but that wasn’t always so. It took a lunch cooked by my no nonsense aunt for me to change my mind. It wasn’t even that she cooked it any better than my mum, just different and when you are in your early teens, different matters. I made this loaf using left over Christmas Stilton and walnuts in addition to the spinach. We had it with Christmas ham on the side but it is lovely with soup or an omelette.
Spinach, Stilton and Walnut Loaf
- 150g frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 2 large eggs
- 120ml sunflower oil
- 180ml Greek yoghurt
- 75g Stilton cheese, cubed
- 75g walnuts, chopped
- 225g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a large jug beat together the yoghurt, eggs, oil and spinach until well combined.
- In a separate bowl sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarb. Add the salt, Stilton and the walnuts and pour into the wet mixture. Stir just enough to combine, do not overmix.
- Transfer the mixture into the tin and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Transfer the loaf to a wire rack and leave to cool before slicing.