Servings8 - 10
Cook1 hr 5 min
I love rhubarb and have made this cake with the first of this year’s rhubarb from my garden. This flourless and gluten free cake is moist and delicious. It keeps well, covered, for several days and just gets better and better.
Rhubarb Polenta Cake
For the Cake
- 225g + 100g rhubarb, washed & trimmed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g +1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 130g ground almonds
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 100g fine polenta
To Decorate & Serve
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- Icing sugar to dust
- Greek yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C.
- Cut a 100g of the rhubarb into 3 cm long pieces and put in a single layer into a shallow baking tin.
- Sprinkle over the sugar, cover with foil and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the foil. The sugar should have dissolved by now so roast for another 5 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- For the cake, place the rhubarb into a small saucepan and pour over the lemon juice.
- Cook the rhubarb, covered, over a low to medium heat for 10 minutes until soft. Leave to cool then drain the rhubarb in a colander reserving the juices.
- Turn the oven down to 190C/170C fan. Grease the sides of a 20cm springform and line the base with baking parchment.
- Place the butter and the sugar into the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until soft and pale.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Add the lemon zest, almonds, baking powder polenta and rhubarb juice and stir until combined. Fold in the rhubarb pieces.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 45 – 55 minutes until golden, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The cake should be shrinking a little from the sides.
- Remove the collar and leave to cool before transferring the cake to a serving plate.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar, dollop with the yoghurt and arrange the roasted rhubarb over the cake.
0 0 100 0