If you are looking for festive nibbles to serve with drinks then these are perfect. They are easy to prepare and the dough can be frozen ready to be baked when needed. You can of course use any shaped cutter you like so they needn’t be just for the festive period.
For the Dough
- 250g plain flour
- 125g butter, cubed
- 100g Parmesan, grated
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
For the Topping
- Flour for rolling
- 1-2 egg yolks, beaten
- 40g pine kernels, chopped
- Place the flour, butter, and salt into a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub everything together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the Parmesan, cayenne pepper and eggs and mix until the dough comes together. Briefly knead the dough until smooth. Wrap the dough into cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease or line with baking parchment 1 large or 2 medium baking sheets.
- Roll the dough out to about 5mm thickness on a work surface, lightly dusted with flour. Cut out star shapes with a 5 cm star cutter and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush the stars with the beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with the chopped pine nuts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool on a wire rack.