I wanted to do something a little different to the usual cinnamon rolls and having bought one orange to many for the previous day’s orange brownies I combined the orange flavour with cardamom and brown sugar. The taste and smell was incredible and may well become my new favourite.
Orange & Cardamom Buns
For the Dough
- 400g strong white flour
- 7g easy blend yeast
- 60g caster sugar
- 10g salt
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 280ml tepid water
For the Filling
- 80g dark brown sugar
- 30g butter, softened
- 1 orange, finely grated zest only
- 1tsp ground cardamom
For the Topping
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp sugar nibs
- Place the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer with the dough hook attached.
- Add the oil and water and mix together on a low speed. Increase the speed to medium and knead for 5 – 6 minutes until smooth and elastic. If you prefer you can knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with cling film or a shower cap and leave to rest in a warm place for 1 – 2 hours until at least doubled in size.
- Meanwhile beat together the sugar, butter, orange zest and cardamom.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle and spread with the butter mixture. Roll the dough up tightly starting from the short side.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces and place them well apart onto a greased or lined baking tray. Cover the buns with oiled cling film and leave to rise for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan.
- Brush the buns with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar nibs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes until they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.