I love swiss rolls, they are quick and easy to make and can be easily changed. In this recipe I used nuts in the sponge and filled it with a Nutella ganache, but you can, of course, use any type of ground nuts. The nutella makes this a seriously decadent pudding that you can enjoy with a good cup of coffee at home. It never fails to lift my spirit when the weather outside is grey and miserable.
Nutella Hazelnut Swiss Roll
For the Sponge
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 40g icing sugar
- 60g roasted ground hazelnuts
- 4 egg whites
- 45g caster sugar
- 70g plain flour
- 20g butter, melted
For the Nutella Ganache
- 200ml double cream
- 85g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 125g Nutella
- Plus some icing sugar to dust
- For the sponge preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Line a swill roll tin with baking parchment.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and egg yolks with the icing sugar until pale and creamy then beat in the ground hazelnuts.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with the caster sugar until stiff.
- Fold two thirds of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Add the remaining third of the egg whites and sift over the flour and baking powder. Gently fold everything together until incorporated.
- Stir one tablespoon of the batter into the warm melted butter then fold the butter mixture into the cake batter. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Place a piece of baking parchment sprinkled with caster sugar onto a damp tea towel.
- Turn the sponge out onto the parchment paper and remove the baking paper. Gently roll up the sponge with the sugared parchment and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl.
- Heat the cream until just below boiling and pour over the chocolate. Leave for 2 minutes before adding the Nutella and stirring until smooth. Spoon 2 tbsp of the ganache into a piping bag and set aside. Pop the remaining ganache in the fridge until thickened. Do keep an eye on it though, as it needs to stay spreadable.
- Once thick enough, carefully unroll the sponge and spread with the Nutella ganache. Roll up again and place in the fridge to set.
- Dust with icing sugar and pipe over lines of ganache.