They are an essential part of my Christmas. They evoke fond childhood memories of my mum baking for Christmas and many afternoon teas with my family. If you find Lebkuchen spice hard to find, I have given a link for a homemade spice mix.
Honey Lebkuchen Stars
For the dough
- 250g honey
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 20g of Lebkuchen spice
- 2 tbsp milk
- 500g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
For the Decoration
- 150g Apricot glaze
- 100g skinned almonds, halved
- 50g glacé cherries, halved
- Flour for dusting
- For the dough, in a small saucepan, melt the honey with the sugar. Pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl and leave to cool. Beat in the eggs until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Stir in the Lebkuchen spice and the milk.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Make a hollow into the centre and pour in the honey mixture. Stir everything together, and then knead until you have smooth dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Dust a worktop lightly with flour. Roll out the dough to about 6-7mm and cut out stars with a medium size star cutter. Place the stars spaced well apart on the baking sheets. Place the baking sheets in the fridge and leave the stars overnight to dry.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Bake the stars in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Leave to cool on the sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer the stars to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Place the apricot glaze in a microwave bowl and heat for about 30 – 40 seconds until the glaze is runny. You can also do this in a saucepan.
- Brush the stars all over with the glaze and then decorate with the cherries and almonds.
- They keep well stored in an airtight container.
0 0 100 0