This is one of my family’s favourite breakfast loaves. It doesn’t need anything else added to it, which makes this a delicious, quick and convenient breakfast. It has a lovely soft dough and you could, off course, have it with a cup of coffee or tea at any time of the day.
Healthy Nutella Breakfast Loaf
For the Dough
- 500g strong white flour
- 7g easy bake yeast
- 10g salt
- 330ml whole milk, just warm
- 20g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp runny honey
For the filling
- 1 quantity of healthy Nutella (see basics)
For the Glaze
- 1 egg and 1 tbsp milk, beaten
- Place all the dough ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer with the dough hook attached.
- On a low speed mix everything together until combined.
- Increase the speed to medium and knead for 5 – 8 minutes until smooth and elastic. It should bounce back when lightly poked with a floured finger.
- Place the dough in a bowl lightly dusted with flour. Cover the bowl with cling film or a shower cap and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 – 2 hours until at least doubled in size.
- Line one large (or two smaller) loaf tins with baking parchment.
- Turn the dough out on a work surface lightly dusted with flour.
- Knead the dough lightly for two minutes before rolling the dough out into an oblong of about 5mm thickness. The short side should be about the same size as the length of the tin.
- Spread the dough evenly with the Nutella and roll up as tightly as possible from the short end.
- Place the dough seam side down into the tin. Cover the tin with oiled cling film or place into a large plastic bag and leave to rise for another 40 – 50 minutes until doubled in size.
- During the last 10 minutes of rising preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan.
- Pour a cup of hot water into a baking tray placed at the bottom of the oven for a better rise and crust.
- Brush the loaf with the beaten egg mixture and bake in the preheated oven for 35- 40 minutes. To check if the loaf is cooked tap the base, it should sound hollow.
- Let the loaf cool on a rack before serving.
Tip: The loaf can be sliced, the individual slices wrapped in cling film and then placed in a bag and frozen.