These easy but impressive cookies are wonderful served with a cup of coffee. The dough can be frozen and used whenever needed.
Hazelnut Crescents & Chocolate Hazelnut Balls
For the Hazelnut Cookies
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g icing sugar
- ½ tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 300g plain flour
- 80g roasted chopped hazelnuts
- 90g roasted ground hazelnuts
- zest of ¼ orange
- zest of ¼ lemon
- pinch of salt
For the Chocolate Hazelnut Balls
- 15g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp milk
For the Coating
- 50g butter
- 25g granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 30g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan. Grease and dust with flour or line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy then beat in the icing and vanilla sugar, whole egg and egg yolk until light and fluffy (use your stand mixer or electric hand whisk for this).
- Sift the flour onto the mixture and stir in the ground and chopped hazelnuts, the orange and lemon zest and salt until just combined.
- Place half the dough into a separate bowl and stir in the sifted cocoa powder and milk.
- Using about 1-heaped tsp (about 10g) of the plain dough for each cookie, roll the dough into 6 – 7cm long cigar shapes, tapering the ends and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Using about 1-heaped tsp (about 10g) of the chocolate dough for each cookie, roll the dough into balls then place them on the baking sheet and flatten them slightly.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 12 – 14 minutes until firm but still pale.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Mix the granulated sugar with the cinnamon and place into a shallow bowl.
- Melt the butter in a microwave proof jug.
- Brush each crescent cookie with the melted butter and dip them in the cinnamon sugar to coat.
- Brush each chocolate ball with the melted butter and toss in icing sugar.
0 0 100 0