This was a cake that I baked for a Clandestine Cake Club meeting. The theme was broken New Years resolutions and with this out went my dry January. If you don’t want to use wine then you can make this with grape juice.
Grape Torte with Wine Cream
For the Cake
- 30g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 5 medium eggs, separated
- Pinch of salt
- 125g plain flour
- 20g cornflour
For the White Wine Cream
- 6 gelatine leaves, soaked for 10 minutes in cold water (see notes)
- 130ml white wine or grape juice
- 60g caster sugar
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 1 unwaxed lemon, grated rind and juice
- 400ml double cream
For the Filling
- 150g Red Currant Jelly
- 2 gelatine leaves, soaked for 10 minutes in cold water (see notes)300ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 150g green and black grapes
- Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan. Grease and line a 23cm spring form with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt and 2 tbsp of cold water until beginning to thicken and then, with the beaters running, slowly add sugar and continue beating until stiff.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Sift over the flour and cornflour and pour in the butter and gently fold everything into the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled cut the cake into 3 even slices horizontally.
- For the White Wine Cream, in a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water, beat the wine, sugar, egg yolks, grated lemon and juice until thick and creamy. (Do not allow the mixture to boil or it will scramble).
- Remove the bowl from the heat and add the squeezed out gelatine leaves and stir to dissolve. Set aside to cool stirring every now and again to stop a skin from forming. Refrigerate the mixture until starting to set.
- Beat the cream until thick and fold into the wine mixture until combined.
- To assemble, place the first sponge onto a serving plate.
- Slightly heat the blackcurrant jelly and spread over the sponge.
- Place the second sponge over the top and enclose in a close fitting cake ring.
- Spread over half of the wine cream and place the third sponge over the top.
- Spread with the remaining wine cream and refrigerate for 3 – 4 hours.
- To Decorate, Dissolve the gelatine in a tablespoon of hot water and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the cream with the sugar until beginning to thicken then, with the beaters running on low, add the dissolved gelatine. Continue beating the cream until stiff but still spreadable.
- Spoon the cream into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle.
- Remove the cake ring and pipe the cream in vertical lines around the cake.
- Wash, dry and half the grapes and if necessary, remove any pips.
- Arrange the halved grapes over the top and pipe on dots of cream to decorate.
Note: I used Dr.Oteker Platinum Gelatine Leaves. If you are using a different brand, please refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.