These delicious little treats are quick and easy to do. I made them for a coffee morning and watched them disappear in a blink of an eye. The cinnamon sugar and the chopped hazelnuts give these soft and fluffy muffins a wonderful crunch.
For the Muffins
- 150g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 50g ground roasted hazelnuts
- 150g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 190ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 60ml hazelnut or sunflower oil
- 30g chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 30g chocolate hazelnut spread such as Nutella
For the Topping
- 70g butter, melted
- 100g light brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease the sides of a 12-hole muffin tin with butter and line the base with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl then stir in the ground hazelnuts, sugar and salt.
- In a large jug, beat together the egg, buttermilk, vanilla essence and oil.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix to keep the muffins light.
- Spoon 2 – 3 tbsp of the batter into a small bowl and stir in the chopped nuts and the chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Divide half of the plain batter between the muffin tins then spoon a tsp of the chocolate batter into the centre of each muffin.
- Top with the remaining batter and use a toothpick to swirl the mixture together.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 18 – 20 minutes until well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave the muffins to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning them out onto a cooling rack removing any of the baking parchment still attached to the muffins.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a shallow bowl.
- Brush the still warm muffins with the melted butter and roll them in the cinnamon sugar.
- Leave to cool completely.
0 0 100 0