These are easy to make fun cocktail cupcakes. They make a great dessert.
For the Cupcakes
- 160g strawberries
- 1 tbsp white rum
- 100g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 250g caster sugar
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 25g cornflour
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lime
- 75ml milk
- 100ml couble cream
- 3 large eggs
- 300g self-raising flour
For the Frosting
- 150g strawberries
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 75ml white rum
- 175g unsalted butter
- 600g icing sugar
- 6 small strawberries, halved
- Pink sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper liners.
- Wash, hull and finely chop the strawberries and mix in the rum.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, oil, cornflour, vanilla essence, lime zest and juice until smooth.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time until incorporated, then whisk in the milk and cream.
- Gently fold in the flour, about 50g at a time until completely combined.
- Spoon the chopped strawberries into the paper cases and then spoon the batter on top.
- Bake the cakes in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing and leaving them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- To make the buttercream, put the strawberries with the lime juice and rum into a blender and blend to a puree. Push the mixture through a sieve and set aside.
- In a large bowl and with an electric whisk or in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter until soft and smooth. Sift in the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the strawberry puree and beat until combined.
- Spread a thin layer of the buttercream over the cupcakes and spoon the remaining mixture into a piping bag fitted with a nozzle of your choice.
- Sprinkle the edges with the pink sugar and pipe then pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with half a strawberry.
0 0 100 0