This is a very easy to make cake and a must for coconut lovers like my daughter. The juicy tart berries complement the sweet cake perfectly. If you like serve it with a dollop of whipped coconut cream.
Coconut Cake with Berry Compote
For the Cake
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten (size L)
- 225g self-raising flour
- 100g desiccated coconut
For the Compote
- 150g mixed berries, fresh or frozen
- 60g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease and base line a 23cm spring form with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. This is best done in a stand mixer or with an electric hand whisk.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gently fold in the flour and coconut until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning it out onto a cooling rack.
- Put the fruit and the sugar into a saucepan and cook on a low to medium heat for 5 – 8 minutes, stirring gently until the juices are starting to run and thicken.
- Serve the cake warm with the compote spooned over the top.
0 0 100 0