There is in my opinion nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread and cinnamon. This plait does deliver. It’s light and moist and full of flavor and I have mine with a cup of coffee for breakfast or tea in the afternoon.
Cinnamon, Quark & Raisin Plait
- 80g raisins
- 20ml dark rum
For the Dough
- 500g strong white flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 8g salt
- 8g easy blend yeast
- 200ml whole milk
- 80g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
For the Filling
- 400g Quark
- 120g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Some icing sugar to dust
- Place the raisins and rum in a small bowl and set aside to soak for an hour or longer if you wish.
- For the dough, place the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add the milk, butter, egg and vanilla essence and stir to combine. Tip the mixture out onto a lightly floured worktop and knead for 8 minutes. Add the raisins and knead again for 2-3 minutes until the raisins are incorporated and the dough is smooth and elastic. You can of course do this in a stand mixer with the dough hook attached but reduce the kneading time to 5 minutes. Place the dough back into a clean, lightly greased bowl, cover with cling wrap or a shower cap and leave in a warm place for 1 – 1½ hours until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising make the filling. Place the quark, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and beat until smooth and combined. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured worktop and lightly knead for 2 minutes.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle about 1cm thick. Spread the filling over the dough, then cut the rectangle in half lengthways. Roll each piece up along the long side and pinch the ends together. You should have two long pieces of rolled dough. Twist the pieces around each other pinching the ends together and place the plait onto a greased baking sheet.
- Cover the dough with greased cling wrap or place into a large plastic bag for another 30 minutes.
- During the last 10 minutes of rising preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan.
- Bake the plait for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool on a cooling rack before dusting with icing sugar.
0 0 100 0