I just love hazelnuts and these just simply make the most delicious breakfast. Of course they are equally good any time of day.
Cinnamon & Hazelnut Swirls
For the dough
- 300g strong white flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1½ tsp easy blend yeast
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 25g butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150ml whole milk
For the filling
- 30g unsalted butter, softened
- 50g soft brown sugar
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 60g chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the dough, in a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of your electric stand mixer, stir together the flour, sugar, ground cardamom salt and yeast. Add the cooled melted butter, beaten egg, vanilla essence and milk and stir together, or using the dough hook attachment of your mixer, mix to a soft but not sticky dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes, or let your mixer do the work for about 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Put into a lightly floured bowl and cover the top with cling film (or I use a shower cap). Leave in a warm place until doubled in size. This will take between 1 – 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon and hazelnuts. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly for 2 minutes. Roll the dough out on a work surface lightly dusted with flour into a 30 x 40cm rectangle, spread with the butter and sprinkle over the cinnamon mixture. Starting from the short side, roll the dough up tightly.
- With a sharp knife, cut the rolled dough into 12 even slices and place well apart on the baking sheet or sheets. Pinch the ends of the swirls to stop them unraveling. Leave the swirls to rise for about 30 minutes.
- At the last 10 minutes of rising, preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Brush the swirls with the beaten egg and bake in the preheated oven for about 12 – 15 minutes, until golden. You may need to turn your baking trays half way through to get an even colouring.
- Remove the swirls from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
0 0 100 0