Servings10 - 12
This tasty showstopper is not too difficult to make. If you are at all worried about making the caramel shards just decorate the cake with chocolate and almonds but do give it a go, it’s a lot of fun.
Chocolate Torte with Almond Praline
For the Sponge
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 40 + 40g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 65g plain flour
- 80g ground almonds
For the Chocolate Crème
- 150ml + 140ml whole milk
- 70g dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa), chopped
- 35g cornflour
- 60g caster sugar
- 100g chopped almonds
- 80g icing sugar
- 120g unsalted butter, softened
For the Chocolate Glaçage
- See Basics
- 75g caster sugar
- For the Almond sponge, grease and line a 20cm round springform with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with 40g of the caster sugar until thick and pale.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites with 40g of caster sugar and the salt until thick and glossy.
- Fold a third of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture until combined. Add the remaining egg whites and sift over the flour. Add the almonds and gently fold everything together until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes until a pale golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Turn the sponge out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely before slicing it in three even slices horizontally.
- To make the Chocolate Filling, in a small saucepan heat 150ml of the milk until just below boiling. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- In a small jug stir together the remaining 140ml of milk, cornflour and sugar until smooth then pour into the chocolate milk.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring all the time. As soon as the mixture is boiling take the saucepan off the heat. Pour the mixture into a bowl and leave to cool stirring every now and again to prevent a skin from forming.
- Meanwhile make the almond praline. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Sift the icing sugar into a saucepan and under low to medium heat let the sugar caramelize to a golden brown.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the almonds. Spread the mixture over the baking tray and leave to set. Be careful when you do this, as the sugar is very hot!
- Once set brake the almond praline into a food processor and process to a fine crumb.
- Beat the butter until pale and fluffy then beat, a tablespoon at a time, into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the almond praline.
- To assemble place the first sponge onto a plate and enclose in a close fitting cake ring.
- Set aside 3 tbsp of the chocolate mixture.
- Spread the cake with half of the remaining chocolate crème and place the second sponge on top.
- Repeat with the second half of the crème and top with the third sponge.
- Spread the remaining 3 tbsp of the crème over the top and refrigerate the cake for 3 – 4 hours.
- Remove the cake ring from the cake and pour over the chocolate glaçage.
- Leave to set in the fridge for 30 minutes before moving the cake to a serving plate.
- To make the caramel shards place a sheet of baking parchment onto a baking tray and keep next to the cooker, you’ll need to work quickly.
- Place the sugar into a pan and heat gently until the sugar has melted and turned a golden caramel colour. Do not stir or the sugar will crystalize.
- With a fork pull up the caramel until small strands form. Flick the strands of caramel onto the baking parchment and leave to harden.
- Use the shards to decorate the cake.
0 0 100 0