This is an impressive looking dessert. If you are not feeling confident to make the macarons yourself, either use shop bought or you could omit them altogether.
Chocolate & Strawberry Macaron Torte
For the Strawberry Filling
- 280g fresh or frozen strawberries
- 30g caster sugar
- 3 gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water
For the Chocolate Sponge
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 35g corn flour
- 20g cocoa powder
For the Cheesecake Filling
- 6 gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water
- 200g plain yoghurt
- 200g low fat quark
- 400g cream cheese
- 60g icing sugar
- 6 tbsp Amaretto liqueur
For the Topping and Decorations
- 150g strawberry jam
- 500g strawberries, halved
- 1 sachet of red quick jel
- Strawberry cordial (optional)
- 4 squares of white chocolate, grated
- 18 Macarons (see Basics)
- 30g dark chocolate, melted
- 50ml double cream
- A few drops of strawberry extract (optional)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- For the Strawberry Filling: Line a 20cm shallow, round baking tin with cling film.
- Puree the strawberries and stir in the caster sugar. Heat a third of the mixture until just below boiling and stir in the squeezed out gelatine leaves.
- Stir the strawberry puree into the gelatine mixture and pour the mixture into the prepared tin and place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- For the Chocolate Sponge: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease a 23cm spring form and line the base with baking parchment.
- Beat the egg whites with the sugar until thick and glossy. Fold in the egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, corn flour and cocoa powder. Sift the flour mixture over the egg mixture and fold in until well combined.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack. Once cooled cut the cake in half horizontally.
- For the Cheesecake Filling: Heat 50g of the yoghurt until just hot but not boiling, add the squeezed out gelatine and stir to dissolve. Leave to cool.
- Beat together the remaining yoghurt, quark, cream cheese, icing sugar and Amaretto. Add 2 tbsp of the cheese mixture to the gelatine mixture and stir to combine. Stir the gelatine mixture into the cheese mixture until incorporated.
- To assemble the Cake: Place the bottom sponge cake onto a serving plate and enclose with a cake ring.
- Pour two thirds of the cheese mixture onto the sponge. Remove the strawberry filling from the freezer and lightly press into the centre of the cheese mixture.
- Top with the remaining cheese mixture followed by the top sponge cake.
- Spread the sponge with the strawberry jam and arrange the cut strawberries over the jam-covered sponge.
- Using the strawberry cordial, prepare the red jel according to the manufacturer’s instructions and pour over the strawberries to glaze.
- Place the cake in the fridge to set for at least 3 – 4 hours.
- To decorate and finish: Remove the cake ring and sprinkle the white chocolate over the strawberries on top of the cake.
- To decorate the macarons with the dark chocolate pour the chocolate into a small sandwich bag and snip off a small corner. Pipe in lines over the macarons and set aside to set.
- Beat the cream with the sugar and the strawberry extract until stiff and carefully spread over the white part, that’s the cheesecake bit, of the sides only and press on the macarons.
Notes: I have used Dr.Oetker Diamond gelatine leaf. If you are using a different brand please refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.