This is a lovely moist cake. Serve it with some ice cream or a dollop of sweetened yoghurt on the side. I have used the NordicWare Jubilee bundt tin here.
Chocolate Apple Cake
- A little melted butter for greasing the tin plus some flour
- 500g green apples
- 4 tbsp dark rum
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 25g cocoa powder
- 120g ground roasted hazelnuts
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- 2 – 3 roasted chopped hazelnuts
- Brush a 22cm bundt tin with some melted butter and lightly dust with flour.
- Peel and cube the apples and drizzle over the rum. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and beating well after each addition, then stir in the vanilla essence.
- Sift over the flour, cinnamon and cocoa powder, then add the hazelnuts. Stir everything together until incorporated but do not over mix.
- Drain and then fold in the apple pieces. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until well risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 5 – 10 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack.
- When cool dust with icing sugar and sprinkle over the chopped nuts.
Tip: If you have trouble turning out your cake, drape a moist tea towel over it for a few minutes.