I made this when I found myself with a glut of berries and needed a simple dessert to take to a friend’s house.
Berry & Lemon Tart
For the Pastry
- 200g plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 125g unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 medium egg
For the Lemon Custard
- 70ml lemon juice
- 300g crème fraiche
- 2 large eggs
- 50g caster sugar
For the Topping
- 500g mixed fresh berries (I used strawberries, blueberries and raspberries)
- 1 sachet of red quick jel
- 200ml red currant juice
- For the pastry, place the flour, almonds and butter into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and pulse again to combine then turn the mixture out onto your worktop and gently push together.
- Wrap the pastry in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 210C/190C fan. Grease a 26cm loose-bottomed, deep tart tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Thinly roll out the pastry into a round a little larger than the base of the tin and use to line the tin. Pop the tin into the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Prick the base of the pastry all over with a fork. Crumple up some foil in a long sausage shape and lightly press around the sides of the pastry to stop the sides collapsing.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown. Remove the foil.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 140C/120C fan.
- For the lemon cream, beat together the lemon juice, crème fraiche, eggs and sugar and pour over the pastbase. Bake in the preheated oven for a further 35 – 40 minutes until soft set.
- Leave the tart to cool on a cooling rack.
- Place the tart on a serving dish and arrange the fruit over the cream.
- Prepare the quick jel with the red currant juice according to the manufacturers’ instructions and use to glaze the fruit.
0 0 100 0