This is a lovely light and gluten free cake. It’s quick and easy to make and always popular. I like mine with a good dollop of Greek yoghurt.
Berry & Lemon Polenta Squares
- 180g butter, softened
- 180g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 150g fine polenta
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tbsp
- 300g frozen berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, red and black currants
- Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease or line a 23cm square brownie tin with baking parchment.
- Place the softened butter with the sugar in a large bowl and beat until pale, light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition, making sure that each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Add the polenta, ground almonds, baking powder, grated lemon rind and juice and stir until combined.
- Gently stir in the frozen berries and spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 – 55 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before placing on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, dust with icing sugar and cut into squares to serve.
0 0 100 0