Cook1 hr 5 min
This cake is truly a family favourite. The cake is my mother’s recipe and I still see my mother in the kitchen peeling apples that we had picked earlier in the day from the garden. It was my sister who added the bee sting topping to the cake which, I must say, it delicious. This time I made the cake for my son’s birthday as per request. Both he and my husband love it.
Apple Bee Sting Cake
For the Pastry
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 150g butter, cubed
- 1 large egg + 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tbsp milk
For the Filling
- 1 kg of green apples (I used Granny Smiths)
- 65g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sultanas
- 2 tbsp rum
- 50g chopped almonds
- 4 tbsp ground almonds
For the Topping
- 100g honey
- 70g butter
- 70g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 100g flaked almonds
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a food processor and process in short burst until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the large egg, vanilla essence and milk. Process again in short bursts until the mixture forms into a ball. Wrap the pastry into cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Grease and base line a 23cm spring form with baking parchment.
- Roll out two thirds of the dough and use to line the base and sides of the tin.
- Place the tin in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan.
- Prick the pastry base all over with a fork and bake the pastry case in the preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Brush the pastry base with the lightly beaten egg and return to the oven for a further 2 minutes.
- Peel, core and slice the apples and place them into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, sultanas, rum and chopped almonds.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp of the ground almonds over the pastry and top with half the apple mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining ground almonds and apples.
- Roll out the remaining pastry into a 23cm disk and place over the apples, pinching and sealing the edges.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- While the cake is baking prepare the topping.
- Place all the honey, butter, sugar and milk into a small saucepan and under medium heat stir until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in the flaked almonds.
- Pour the mixture over the cake spread all over the top.
- Return the cake to the oven for another 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing the cake from the tin to cool completely.