I do like the flavour combination of apples and cinnamon and when I was asked to bake for a local Charity this recipe came to mind. I am happy to say it was a great success.
Apple & Oat Traybake
For the Cake
- 150g self-raising flour
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 170g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g ground oats
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and finely diced (I used Granny Smiths)
- 80g chopped walnuts
For the Frosting
- 200g mascarpone cheese
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 225g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan. Line a 28cm x 17cm deep tin with baking parchment.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cocoa, cinnamon and cloves, then stir in the oats.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Stir in the flour mixture followed by the apples and nuts until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack, with the baking parchment still in place, until cooled completely.
- To make the frosting, beat butter until soft and smooth. Add the mascarpone, vanilla essence and cinnamon and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and beat until the frosting is light and smooth. Spread over the top of the cooled cake and slice into slices or squares.
0 0 100 0