February 12, 2016
This quantity makes 1 Swiss roll or two 20cm round cakes
- 70g ground almonds
- 70g icing sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 medium egg whites
- 45g caster sugar
- 55g plain flour, sifted
- 20g cocoa powder, sifted
- 25g butter, melted
- Grease and line your chosen tin or tins. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the icing sugar until pale and creamy then beat in the almonds.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with the sugar until stiff article source.
- Fold two thirds of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Add the remaining third of the egg whites and sift over the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Gently fold everything together until incorporated.
- Stir one tablespoon of the batter into the warm melted butter then fold the butter mixture into the cake batter. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack lined with baking parchment sprinkled with sugar.