January 19, 2016
- 3 lemons, juice and finely grated zest
- 125g unsalted butter, cubed
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- In a heatproof bowl, combine the lemon juice, zest, butter and caster sugar.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan with barely simmering water, making sure that the bowl does not touch the water. Stir until the butter and sugar have melted.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly with a fork.
- Strain the eggs into the lemon mixture and, stirring constantly, cook for about 10 minutes until the mixture is thick like custard and looks almost opaque.
- Transfer the lemon curd to two clean jam jars.
- The curd will keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
December 29, 2015
This is a variation of Crème Pâtissière to which whipped cream is added.
Makes about 1 litre
- 120g caster sugar
- 500ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- 6 egg yolks
- 60g plain flour, sifted
- 1 ½ tbsp cornflour, sifted
- 375ml double cream, beaten to a ribbon stage
- Put the milk, vanilla seeds and 50g of the sugar into a saucepan.
- Beat the egg yolks and the remaining 70g of sugar together in a bowl. Whisk in the flour and cornflour visit this site right here.
- Bring the milk to a boil and pour over the egg mixture in the bowl, whisking continuously until thoroughly combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and over a medium heat, whisk constantly for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a deep baking tray and cover tightly with cling film to stop a skin from forming. Leave to cool and set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove from the fridge and beat to soften then fold in the whipped cream.